So this happened….

….its confession time.  Sadly I didn’t post every day during the 31 day blog writing challenge in December.  I made it to Day 19.  I have absolutely no defence.…so I’m going to add this to an ever evolving list of things I may have dropped the ball on…. then pick myself up, dust myself off and carry on.  As you can probably tell, I don’t take myself too seriously.

Yay, its 2020 already!!. And, I’ve been very busy already in my sewing room. For example.

I’m excited to introduce you to my Moda “At the Seashore” quilt.  Yes, I know this was the Moda summer sew-along project, but I didn’t start piecing blocks until October.  Here is a photo of it hanging on the garage door (in a very rare moment of sunshine the other day).

 

IMG_8485

This quilt is a combination of many things.  There are some orphan blocks I made for another sew along, some blocks I designed myself, some that are out there in the public domain and some I purchased. I’m particularly happy with how my “Puffin on a post”and “Summer School” blocks turned out.  The setting is my own design, but was based on the Salt Water Taffy setting provided by Moda Chefs and influenced by many beautiful quilt designs I’ve drooled over online.

I’ve been browsing articles online about different ways to affix the binding to the back of a quilt, so in the spirit of trying and/or learning something new, I used pearl cotton and a big stitch to sew it down as per this tutorial by Kitchen Table Quilting.‘ I opted to use a different stitch than the one in the tutorial, because I thought it might be easy to catch the straight stitch somehow and cause it to pull out.  I also cut my binding at 2.25″, not 3″ as suggested.

If you are considering trying this method, let me say, I’m a big fan of the finished look,  but it did take a bit longer to sew and it was waaaay too easy to push the needle all the way through to the front.  I had to re-move and re-sew after this occurred in a couple of  places. Also there is a bit of a learning curve, as it appears that I didn’t succeed successfully in making my stitches all the same size.

FYI, this beautiful finish is one of the flimsys that Velma Pinsonneault quilted on her LAQ machine in early December.  She did such a brilliant job.  Below are a few photos she took for me while it was on the machine.  I gotta say I fell in love with her freestyle quilting style and would recommend her to anyone who wants a fresh new look for their quilts in 2020.IMG_8407.JPG

IMG_8405.JPG

IMG_8403.JPG

I also finished (and mailed) my first Stash Bee 2020 block to its forever home.  This was a great block to start the year off with.  And I got to choose what colours to use.  Naturally I chose pink.  I really really wanted to add sparkly fabric to it, but I managed to rein myself in this time.  No guarantees for future Stash Bee Blocks tho. LOL.

IMG_8470

I have a couple other things to share with you, but I don’t want to use up all my blog material in one post.  Stay tuned to see how Velma P. finished by “Bring me Flowers” flimsy.  Also stay tuned to see my finished QuiltCon “Make a Mini Make a Friend” quilt and my absolutely ahhhhsome January mini of the month.

Did you do something creative today?

3 Comments

  1. zippyquilts says:

    Your summer quilt is beautiful! Happy new year!

    Like

  2. I’d have done the same as you and likely only made it part way through the month of blogging. I like the pink block and your quilt too! Can’t wait to see your swap mini. I’m just starting work on mine – nothing like waiting to the last minute!

    Like

  3. rl2b2017 says:

    Hi Velda! I say no foul, no harm as far as posting every day during December. You gave it a shot, life happened – oh well. You can always try again next year, or forget about it! Those beautiful quilting photos – I just adore the fabrics in the Drunkard’s Path blocks. Everything about that quilt is wonderful. ~smile~ Roseanne

    Like

Comments are closed.